Electricity generation companies, Gencos, have been accused by Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola of planning to disrupt power supply and throw the country into darkness.

But the Gencos appear to be telling him that he could not eat his cake and have it, since he (Fashola) could not hope to keep power generation up while the Gencos are being owed 1 trillion naira.

The Gencos argue that power disruption is inevitable once the power plants shut down due to their inability to pay for gas.

Fashola had last week alleged that the Gencos were planning to disrupt the supply of electricity across the country.

“Let me say very clearly to all operators that I get reports of many of the clandestine meetings that some of them (Gencos) are holding with a view to disrupting the supply for political capital,” he said at the 25th Monthly Power Sector Meeting in Uyo.

Also Read: Here’s Kachikwu’s Final Solution To Petrol Queues, Power Cuts

But in a swift reaction, the Executive Secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies, Dr. Joy Ogaji, told Punch on Monday, that Fashola’s allegations are unfounded but that power disruption is certain if the debts are not paid.

“We are in the business of power generation. So, don’t you think we cannot disrupt our business? We have not issued any such threat that we are going to shut down power.

“But it is natural that when we are not being paid, we don’t have money to buy gas to generate power and we cannot pay salaries.

“So, automatically, the power plants will shut down even without us wanting to shut them down. We have not issued any notice that we are shutting down, but the natural occurrence will happen,” Ogaji said.

Also Watch: Inside Makoko - Beauty And The Beast