So, Nigeria’s former President Olusegun Obasanjo is not happy with the way President Buhari’s government went about feeding school children.

Obasanjo believes the programme should be essentially a programme that the states should execute.

Obasanjo stated this in an interview with Punch at the venue of the World Food Prize in Iowa, USA, on Thursday.

The Federal Government had said in September that over 6.2 billion naira had been paid to 14 states as part of efforts to meet its target of feeding three million primary school children in 2017 under the National Homegrown School Feeding Programme.

As a matter of fact, Anambra, Enugu, Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ebonyi, Zamfara, Delta, Abia, Benue, Plateau, Bauchi, Taraba and Kaduna have been covered in the programme.

Also Read: Olusegun Obasanjo Breaks Into Nollywood

Although Obasanjo commended the Federal Government for its initiative, he argued that school feeding programmes should be left to state governments to handle.

“Any programme that will enhance food intake, particularly of the youth, and we help them in their growth, vitality, and in giving them better nutrition, I would regard as a good programme. (As president) I encouraged it. It is not supposed to be a Federal Government programme.

“If I remember correctly, I think Nasarawa State had a similar programme which was good; Kano State had one which was good. I think one of the states in the South-West also had one. But it was not a federal programme.

"It was initially a state programme that was encouraged and assisted (by the Federal Government) as much as possible in the past,” Obasanjo said.

Also watch: Bounce Kiddies Talk - What Type Of Apps Do Kids Love?