Why InterContinental Hotels Group Withdrew From Nigeria
Barely a year after telecommunications company Etisalat left Nigeria, another major brand, InterContinental Hotels Group, has withdrawn from Nigeria following a property receivership complication.
According to Bloomberg, the U.K. company’s 358-room hotel in Lagos will no longer operate as an InterContinental-branded property as of Jan. 18, Simon Stamper, IHG’s director of African operations, said in an emailed statement on Wednesday.
The company’s other hotels in sub-Saharan Africa are in South Africa, Mauritius and Zambia.
“We remain committed to Africa and continue operations in all our other properties across the continent as usual,” he said.
The exit from Nigeria of the world’s third-biggest hotel chain follows that of Abu Dhabi-based telecommunications operator Etisalat, which gave up a 45 percent stake in its Lagos unit in June following the failure of talks about a loan repayment.
Companies have recently struggled in Nigeria which came out of the worst recession in more than two decades last year and has faced dollar shortages.
A Nigerian court last May ordered one of the lenders to the 30-billion-naira ($83 million) InterContinental hotel, Skye Bank Plc, to take over the property from its owner Milan Group over debts of $29.8 million and 3.8 billion naira, ThisDay newspapers reported at the time. IHG continued to manage the property, which then went into receivership.
IHG has 5,272 hotels worldwide with 785,544 rooms and owns brands including Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza, according to its website.
FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE
ALSO WATCH: Lagos Conductor Fights His Passenger