US, UK Warn Nigeria About Boko Haram's Next Deadly Plan
The governments of UK and US on Friday said Boko Haram was preparing to kidnap foreigners in remote northeast Nigeria, which is in the grip of a food crisis caused by the over seven years of insurgency by the terrorist group.
The Foreign Office in London said it had received reports that the Islamist militants were “actively planning” to seize foreign workers in the Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
In a travel advice it issued, the UK office emphasised that the affected area was “along the Banki-Kumshe axis”, which is near the border with Cameroon.
The US warning was contained in a massage to its nationals issued by its embassy in Abuja.
It said that the report was “credible”.
Boko Haram has kidnapped thousands of women and children, including more than 200 schoolgirls from the Borno town of Chibok in 2014, which brought the insurgency to world attention.
At least 20,000 people have been killed since 2009 that the group began push for the establishment of an Islamic caliphate in the northeast region.
Abduction of foreigners have been rare.
The kidnap warning and the threat to humanitarian operations underline the fragility of security in northeast Nigeria, despite claims from the government and military that Boko Haram is a spent force.
In December, the military said it had chased the terrorists away from their Sambisa forest haven.
But the group has carried out series of suicide attack since then mostly in Borno State.