The United Nations has expressed fears there is a surge in Boko Haram attacks in northeast Nigeria.

It was an observation made by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) , while condemning an attack on Monday that claimed at least 13 lives in Konduga area, about 28 kilometers southeast of Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.

The Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, spoke strongly against deadly attacks targeting innocent civilians in Konduga, Banki and Ngala areas of Borno.

In a statement by Biodun Banire, the spokesman for OCHA, Kollon said 4 attacks have been recorded in recent weeks, 3 of which were carried out by suicide bombers.

Also Read: Suicide Bombers Kill 15 In Borno

These attacks claimed the lives of over 45 civilians and injured countless others, he stated.

These incident, he emphasised, were indicative of a surge in the brutal violence triggered by a regionalised conflict that is now in its eighth year.

“Civilians are routinely killed in direct and indiscriminate attacks in the north-east of Nigeria.

“This conflict, with all its brutality and horrors, is reaching new lows, with more than 80 children used as human bombs in 2017 alone.

“I call upon all parties to the conflict to respect human life and dignity.

“The latest attack occurred on September 18 in Konduga area, about 28 kilometers southeast of Maiduguri.

“Three suicide bombers consecutively detonated explosive devices strapped to their bodies in Mashemari village, killing 13 and injuring many more,” he said.

According to him, previous attacks in Banki and Ngala targeted camps for Internally Displaced Persons and Nigerian refugees returning home.

These camps hosted thousands of vulnerable women, men and children, who had been forced to flee their homes and now rely on humanitarian assistance to meet their basic needs, he stated.

“The frequency of the attacks is on the rise and ‘softer’ targets, such as camps for displaced persons, are being identified by insurgents.

“This is an extremely worrying trend, while the Government of Nigeria has made significant progress in many locations in the north-east, allowing thousands of people to return home, there is more to be done.

“I urge the Government of Nigeria to increase efforts to protect civilians,” he added.

There is ongoing humanitarian response in the north-east and the protection of civilians is the focus.

But the United Nations is still concerned that 8.5 million people were in need of humanitarian assistance in the most affected states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.