UCL: 10 Unforgettable Moments Chelsea Vs Barcelona
Tuesday night showcased a celebration of European football at its finest.
Fans across the world watched the Champions League Round-of-16 tie between Chelsea and Barcelona which ended 1-1, with the Catalans having an away goal advantage.
It was a night for South Americans, as Willian and Messi ensured both sides shared the spoils.
Here are the highlights of the game that intermittently sent shivers down the spines of die-hard supporters.
1. Eight minutes into the game Chelsea’s Eden Hazard got the first chance of the evening but fizzes wide.
2. At the 20th minute Barcelona came close to scoring when Messi sent a beautiful clipped cross to the back post, but the unmarked Paulinho nods a few yards wide.
3. The first card in the game came at the 30th minute and Rakitic earns it for tripping Willian on the break, giving Chelsea a free-kick in a very dangerous position.
It was Alonso’s territory and he curls the free kick weakly towards the bottom right. It was not a difficult one for Ter Stegen who floped on it like a blanket.
4. At the 35th minute the woodwork stopped Willian from getting the first goal of the tie. Willian had sidestepped past Busquets before firing a thunderous curling effort against the post.
5. Eight minutes later, William stuck again at the 43rd, but was denied again by the woodwork. Both woodworks have received a stunning strike from Willian. In this second time, the Brazilian whipped another 20-yarder against the woodwork.
Fans had jumped up in celebration but the woodwork, said; “hold it”.
6. At the 55th minute, Luis Suarez came close to squeezing one in from a ridiculously tight angle but Courtois tipped it away.
7. GOAL! It was Willian again at the 63rd minute. This time, the target was accurate and the woodwork was not an issue. He found the bottom corner with a strike from a distance and gave Chelsea the lead, braking what was looking ready to end goalless.
8. Barcelona continued to push and minutes later, Messi got an equaliser. It came at the 75th minute, with Messi ending his goal drought against Chelsea.
It was his first-ever goal against Chelsea in nine appearances.
Iniesta had pounced on a loose ball, pulled it back into the path of Messi who drilled his strike into the bottom corner with his 30th shot against Chelsea.
9. At the 86th minute of the game Chelsea got another chance to go ahead again.
It was a free-kick in a central position about 30-yards from goal. Played short, the ball finds The ball finds its way to Victor Moses and he drags wide left.
10. The last high moment of the game came at the 88th minute, with Vidal breaking through the Chelsea line, but his lofted cross into the middle was claimed by Courtois.
WATCH THE UNTOLD BOKO HARAM STORIES IN BORNO, NIGERIA