It has been a very sad Independence holiday for residents of Ifako Ijaiye area of Lagos state.

People were seen weeping and wailing as two children of the same parents were burnt to death in a fire outbreak.

The incident occurred at Number 2, Bola Oyewo Street at about 9pm on Saturday.

It was gathered that the mother of the children had lit a candle at night and went out to plait her hair, leaving the two children aged two and four inside the house sleeping.

The candle fell and caught fire, consuming the sleeping children. Father of the children, in an attempt to rescue them while the inferno was on sustained severe burns.

Officials of the Lagos State Fire Service and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) later arrived the scene to put out the fire.

The director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe confirmed the incident.

He said, “overnight, a bungalow building went on flame and consumed two kids at 2 Bola Oyewo Street, Ifako Ijaiye.”

May their souls rest in peace

WATCH: #BIAFRA904 WHY HISTORY MUST NOT REPEAT ITSELF (DOCUMENTARY)

FOR MORE INTERESTING STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE