Trump To End Protection For Young Immigrants
Things are getting tougher for immigrants in America.
US President Donald Trump has decided to end a popular program that protects hundreds of thousands of young undocumented immigrants from deportation.
According to an online news outlet, Politico, the plan would give US lawmakers (Congress), time to come up with a replacement before the grace period expires.
Trump was scheduled to announce his decision on Tuesday, but Politico said he had already made up his mind and White House aides had met Sunday to plan the rollout.
The New York Times also reported that Trump is strongly considering ending the program after a six-month delay, but said officials cautioned that he could still change his mind.
Also Read: Denmark Wants To Cut Migration From Nigeria
Known as DACA, being an acronym for Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals, DACA the program was put into effect in 2012 by president Barack Obama, allowing an estimated 800,000 undocumented immigrants to stay in the country for renewable two-year periods to study or work if they had come to the United States before age 16.
Meanwhile the tech community in America has voiced their displeasure at a plan to end the programme.
Top technology company leaders such as Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Google cofounder Sergey Brin, Uber's new CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, are reminding Donald Trump that there's no U.S. tech industry without immigrants.
More so, Silicon Valley executives coordinated by Mark Zuckerberg's immigration reform group, FWD.us have published an open letter in support of DACA.
The letter is signed by hundreds of tech CEOs, including leaders at Google, Amazon, Lyft, Twitter, Snap, and Facebook.