A self- acclaimed man of God has beaten a 30-year-old man brought to his church for healing to death.

Prophet Moses Urovbu of the God Revival Prayer Ministry, based in Ughelli, Delta State, reportedly chained and beat Monday Edjedjere to death while treating him for his mental ailment.

The deceased, who was placed on seven days fast without food or water, was chained to a coconut tree at the back of the church during the duration of the dry fast and was constantly beaten with a holy water cane till he became too weak and died.

The man of God was said to have billed the troubled mother of the deceased N24,000, out of which she was able to pay N8,000 and thereafter returned to her Awsha community home leaving her son in the care of Prophet Urovbu.

On her return to the church three days after, the woman met her son chained to a coconut tree with injuries all over his body.

Edjedjere died three days later because of the injuries.

The case was reported to the police and Urovbu was subsequently arrested by officers attached to the Delta State Police Command.

The suspect’s arrest came after the deceased’s brother, Michael Edjedjere, reported the matter to the police immediately it was discovered that his brother had died.

”When my mother told me about the critical condition of my brother, Monday, I felt bad especially when I heard he was chained by Prophet Moses. I called Prophet Moses on phone and told him that he should release my brother to me to take him to the hospital. But the prophet refused, boasting that he will heal him. It was two days later, my mother called me that my brother is dead. I didn’t believe it. I quickly rushed to Ughelli Police Station to report the case and that was how he was arrested” Michael said.

Also Read: Army Kills 15 Boko Haram, Rescues 49 Women And Children

Speaking to newsmen, Prophet Moses Urovbu said;

”I am the General Overseer of God Revival Prayer Ministry. I started my ministry in 1989. I have a large congregation spread across four branches of my church in Warri, Ughelli, Ewu, and Bayelsa State. I do pray for all kinds of people who are sick in my church.

"It was the mother of the deceased that brought him to my church because he was suffering from madness. I admitted him for prayers and billed them N24, 000 and the mother paid just N8, 000.

"I put the deceased on seven days dry fast. He started proving stubborn and broke the church plastic chairs. As a result, my pastors joined me and we chained him to a tree at the back of the church. The injuries on his body were sustained while flogging him with holy water cane so that he can be healed. It was when the mother discovered the condition of her son was not improving that she said I should release him to them. I refused because I can handle the situation.

"Unfortunately, the boy fell down, collapsed and died. On that fateful day, I still discharged five people who had similar sickness and I healed them and they are right in their houses now.”