Palpable tension has engulfed the Osun State University , Osogbo after some officers of the Department of State Services (DSS) allegedly brutalised some workers of the university during a protest. 

The workers, who are mainly non-teaching staff of the University had gathered at the University Guest House, Olu Alabi Way, Opposite Ilelabo, G.R.A. Oke Fia, Osogbo to solidarize with some of their union leaders who had been purportedly suspended and asked to appear before the Staff Disciplinary Committee of the school.

The workers had accused the Vice Chancellor,  Prof. Labo Popoola of mismanaging over N100million, among other allegations of highhandedness and non-remittance of pension.

Some of the union leaders were suspended after a committee set- up by the university's Governing Council to probe the allegations against the VC absolved Popoola of any wrong doing.

The suspended workers were then asked to appear before Staff Disciplinary Committee of the school to explain their roles in the whole drama.

When the union leaders and other members stormed the building where the members of the committee were sitting,  some heavily armed DSS officers were said to have prevented some of the leaders from gaining entry into the guest house despite telling the security personnel that they were invited.

In the midst of this confusion, an officer of the DSS was said to have attacked the treasurer of the National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), Hameed Owoh.

Owoh,  who was bleeding from his forehead and nose after the officer kicked him with boots lost consciousness.

He was later rushed to a nearby private hospital where he was resuscitated and treated.

Other leaders, who were trying to rescue their colleague were also assaulted by the DSS officials

This development almost led to a clash between the workers and the team of security agencies including DSS and Police that were deployed to the Guest House.

ALSO READ: UNIOSUN Workers Shut Down School

Speaking with Bounce News, Owoh said he was unjustly brutalised by the DSS officer for making attempt to gain entry into the guest house where the disciplinary committee were sitting.

“Having been summoned to appear before the Staff Disciplinary Committee by the management, I arrived the venue around 9am and while trying to move to the gate with some of my colleagues,  some heavily armed  DSS officers attacked us and one of them hit my fore head and nose with his boot.

“Blood started gushing out from my head and nose and I fainted. I was rushed to Ifeoluwa hospital where I regained consciousness and treated. I was giving some drugs too. If I was not invited,  I would not be there so I wonder why they attacked me.

Recall that workers of the school had on Thursday last week paralyzed academic and commercial activities on the six campuses making up the University.

WATCH: Behind Lagos Mega City, Irewe Where Children Have Never Seen Cars