The strike by resident doctors has taken a new twist as federal government has engaged the services of casual doctors...yes you read right...CASUAL DOCTORS!

The Health Minister, Professor Isaac Adewole said the move became imperative in order to reduce the increased workload of consultants, NYSC doctors and house officers, thereby preventing reduction in quality of service delivery to patients.

The minister had earlier approved the use of medical officers with the armed forces, police and the Federal Road Safety Corps in health facilities to ensure the continuous delivery of health care services across the country.

Also Read: Doctors' Strike: Minister Puts Consultants, Corps Members In Charge

He said: “Consultants are to work overtime as we continue negotiations with the National Association of Resident Doctors today (September 6). No one should die because our colleagues are on strike.”

Resident doctors, the first line of medical professionals who attend to patients in teaching and some general hospitals,  downed tools nationwide to protest salary shortfalls and cuts.

Consultants were the only doctors on duty at the Federal Medical Centre, Bida, Niger State, as NARD members at the tertiary hospital joined the nationwide strike.

The Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association, Niger State chapter, Dr. Mustapha Yahaya, said negotiations were ongoing between the Federal Government and NARD executives, adding that an agreement was likely to be reached this week.

ALSO WATCH: Lagos Woman Stops 4 NEPA Officials From Disconnecting Her Line