Sloane Stephens: Her Victory, Her Boyfriend And More
I wonder what the odds would have been if you predicted Miss Stephens would emerge as an Open Champion?
While Rafael Nadal’s win in the men’s category of the U.S Open was well expected, not many saw Sloane Stephens coming.
She was ranked 957 at the end of July and winning a Grand Slam was only a dream she had for the future.
However, the future has come faster than imagined for the 24-year old and the question on the lips of many is who is this girl that looks like a young Serena Williams.
Bounce Sports beams its spotlight on the new U.S Open Champion and her picture perfect smiles.
7 things you don't know about her:
1. Sloane Stephens is the first American woman to win the U.S Open title outside the Williams Sisters since 1998. The last American before the Williams sisters took the show was Lindsay Davenport 19 years ago.
2. Sloane Stephens was introduced to tennis aged nine by her mother and stepfather, Sheldon Farrell, who died of cancer when she was 14.
3. Sloane Stephens’ biggest pay day on the court was last Saturday when she collected a $3.7m winners cheque. She also stands to make millions more in endorsement deals following her triumph.
4. Stephens' boyfriend is USA football international Jozy Altidore, who she met at school. Altidore was unable to be at the final because he was playing for Toronto FC in the MLS.
5. At 83 in the rankings, Stephens is the fifth lowest-ranked woman to win a slam title in the Open era and her ranking will now soar to 17.
6. In January, a nagging foot injury forced Sloane Stephens to undergo surgery and left her unable to walk for 16 weeks.
7. Sloane Stephens’ dad, John Stephens died in a car accident in 2009. He was an ex-professional American football player.
Victory comes with loads of new friends and acquintances, hmmmm!