The Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) has withdrawn its call for lawmakers to boycott the presentation of the 2019 budget by President Muhammadu Buhari slated for Wednesday.

CUPP had earlier called on the lawmakers to shun the budget presentation as a show of resentment and condemnation of Buhari’s alleged three years’ reign of impunity, non-implementation of past budgets and abuse of state institutions.

In what looks like a change in twist, CUPP spokesman, Imo Ugochinyere said it is changing its position after intervention by Senate President, Bukola Saraki and Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara.

He called on the lawmakers to scrutinise properly the budget document the President will be laying before it.

“The opposition leadership, after reviewing the intervention of Senate President and the Speaker as well as other eminent leaders, including two former Presidents, wish to announce a withdrawal of the call.

ALSO READ: 2019: 53 Parties Adopt Atiku As Consensus Candidate

“The opposition coalition says they will continue efforts to ensure that they deploy all lawful arsenal at their disposal to ensure that the President is defeated and urges parliamentarians to scrutinise the budget documents when presented and ensure it reflects the wishes of the people.

“The opposition, however, holds strongly to the views expressed for the boycott over the three-year reign of impunity of the President, despite the call off.

“The opposition also condemns the IGP for illegally holding activist Deji Adeyanju and moving him by 4am to Kano in a plot to hold him behind bars over a case he has been discharged and acquitted of by a court of competent jurisdiction.”

The CUPP had adopted Atiku two weeks ago as its consensus presidential candidate.

WATCH: