Government workers in Nigeria have been complaining about their 18,000-naira minimum take home pay.

18,000 Naira simply translates to a bag of rice and gallon of ground-nut oil.

Over the last 5 years, the government has dragged its feet, complaining of falling revenue due to declining oil prices.

However, Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo seems to know how the government can increase the take home pay.

Also Read: Lawmakers Push For Review Of Minimum Wage Every 5 Years

According to the Vice President, wage increase across board may not be possible but government may start with increasing bonuses of workers first, beginning with certain agencies.

A transcript made available to journalists in Abuja on Tuesday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, detailed the plan.

The Vice-President was quoted to have spoken during a session titled, ‘Conversation with the Vice-President’ at the 2017 Nigerian Bar Association National Conference held in Lagos on Monday.

Osinbajo said though the issue of better pay for workers was a good suggestion, the government is “in a bind of sorts.”

He said at the moment, the government spends 70% of its revenues on remuneration and overheads, leaving less than 30% for capital expenditure.

Read MoreWe’ve Set A Solid Foundation For Nigeria - Osinbajo

"I think that what we are probably going to end up doing is what we have done with some of the parastatals; in other words, identifying certain government services that must be remunerated differently in order to increase efficiency,” Osinbajo said.