Adetokunbo is a part time student of the University of Lagos who earns a living from sewing clothes.

He has been able to keep himself in school from the proceeds he makes from this trade and sales of some of his property. 

On this fateful day, Adetokunbo, a 200-level student of Philosophy, had some cloths to deliver to a customer in Okota. He was returning on a motorcycle at 3pm, when he observed there was panic in the area.

The motorcycle rider sighting officers of the operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad panicked and almost threw his passenger to the ground.

He said, “I am a clothier, but I am also undergoing part time studies at UNILAG. I am in 200 level. To raise part of my school fees, which was already due, I had to sell some of my property.

“I had gone to deliver some clothes to a customer in Okota sometime in April and was returning on a motorcycle when I observed some irregularities. The motorcycle rider that took me almost threw me into a gutter.

“I was still chiding him when the operatives approached me and said I was a Yahoo boy. They held me by the trousers as I protested and struggled with them, asking for my offence. I pushed one of them away. They all descended on me and started hitting me.

“They put me in handcuffs and threw me inside their car. The beating was much. They were slapping me from different sides. I told them to check my ID card or allow me to make a call. They didn’t listen to me or even check my phone. They asked who my father was that made me use an iPhone, which they could not afford.”

Adetokunbo said he observed there were two other men in the car, adding that he gathered that they had just obtained their visas with a plan to travel abroad when they were arrested.

He added that the men, who had earlier arrested two other suspects that were in a car, drove them around Lagos roads.

The victim said the men later took the two other suspects to an Automated Teller Machine, where they were forced to withdraw 100,000 Naira each before they were dropped off at the Oworonshoki area of the state.

He said he was released on the Third Mainland Bridge after his 70,000 Naira school fees was forcefully taken from him.

“My pain in all of these was not even the beating, but the fact that I had to defer my education because of the money they collected from me,” he said.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, said the police have begun investigation into the case.