Schools across Lagos State and other parts of Nigeria are scheduled to open for a new session today (Monday Sept. 10) but 12-year old Nelson will neither be at the morning assembly nor his class for lectures.

Daddy’s boy as he is fondly referred to lost his life along with his father, Akinwunmi Dickson, a journalist early Sunday morning.

The pair were killed after fire gutted a shopping complex on Awolowo Way, in the Ikeja area of Lagos State.

As reported by the PUNCH Metro, the deceased were asleep in an office in the complex when the incident happened around 5am on Sunday.

An eyewitness, Wasiu Hamsat, said the 50-year-old, who published a brand magazine, Brand Campaign, and his son were choked to death by the smoke of the fire, adding that their corpses were found at the entrance of Akinwunmi’s office.

Akinwunmi Dickson and Nelson

The Lagos State indigene said, “I was asleep when I heard a noise around 5am. People were shouting that a building was on fire. We quickly called the fire service.

READ ALSO: #60MinutesWithCP: Are Yahoo Boys Scared Of Lagos Police?

“When they did not show up on time, people were forced to break into the shop which was on fire. That was around 6am. But the smoke was much and nobody could enter. It was the smoke that killed the journalist and his son because the fire did not gut his office.

“At times, if there was traffic, he usually slept in the office with his child. No one knew he was inside the office because everybody was busy finding a way to put out the fire.

“Before we knew they were there, it was too late. They had struggled to open the door, but could not see anything because the smoke was much. In fact, people found them dead at the back entrance to his office.”

Another resident and witness, Busayo Adebanjo, said one of the air conditioners of a boutique in the complex caused the fire.

Akinwunmi Dickson and Nelson

The 20-year-old said, “The fire started inside a boutique. One of the boutique’s air conditioners that had fault caused the fire. The owner of the boutique had travelled; so one of his boys switched on the air conditioner.

“Immediately the fire started, the state fire service was called, but the officials did not come early. Before they came to put out the fire, it had damaged many goods inside the shop.”

Don’t forget to share this story with your friends and family....

ALSO WATCH: