At least five persons have been confirmed dead after a seven-storey building collapsed in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital on Friday.

It was gathered that four persons, who were brought out of the rubble on Saturday were already dead, while rescuers, including men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, continued to work round the clock to save few persons still under the rubble.

ALSO READ - Melete Attack: Terrorists Ambush Evacuation Troops, Abduct Captain

A huge crowd was still gathering along Woji Road in GRA Phase 2, Port Harcourt, where the building caved in at 5pm on Friday.

The NSCDC Public Relations Officer in Rivers State, Akin Oguntuase, told our correspondent on Saturday that while the bodies of the four persons recovered from the rubble had been taken to the mortuary, it had been difficult to get one corpse out.

Oguntuase disclosed that the head of the said deceased was still trapped under a brick and could not be easily removed.

“We have removed four bodies and we have taken then to the mortuary. One body is still trapped under the rubble and it has begun to decompose. But we are still trying our best to remove it,” he said.

Please share this story with your family and friends