Some armed robbers are more daring than others.

These ones not only had the effrontery to rob a place of worship but also threw caution to the wind and shared their loot in one of the churches robbed.

These were the armed robbers that on Saturday morning invaded some churches in Akure, the Ondo State capital and robbed members of the churches of their valuables and the churches’ offering worth millions of Naira.

The churches affected, according to a source, were located at Ondo Road and Fanibi areas of Akure.

The robbers reportedly spent several hours carrying out the operations without any interruption.
They were also alleged to have shared their stolen items in one of the churches robbed.

Reports suggest as the robbery operation was ongoing, some members of the church managed to call the control room of the Ondo State Police Command but there was no response.

According to a source, the incident happened during the end of the month’s prayer and vigil services. The hoodlums were said to have carried out the act between 2 and 4am.

One of the victims of the robbery incident, on condition of anonymity told our correspondent that four members of the gang stole all they had, including the church offerings.

She disclosed that the hoodlums had robbed about five other churches before they arrived.

She said the four robbers that entered her church were armed with guns, machetes, iron rod and wood, adding that they beat ‘uncooperative’ victims ruthlessly.

She said, “After finishing our vigil at about 3am on Saturday, all of us were going home when some armed men met us on the road. They told us they were members of the vigilante group in the area and they asked us to go back to the church.

“They followed us to the church, on entering the church with us, they closed and locked the door from inside. One of them brought out a pistol and asked all of us to lie down and face the ground. They collected everything on us, especially our phones and money.

“As we faced down, we heard them sharing the money they had stolen from other churches they had robbed earlier. From their conversation, we discovered that they must have attacked no fewer than four churches before us.”

The victim added that the robbers fled through the window when they heard that policemen were around the area. She said they removed the sim cards from their phones and dropped them on the chair of the church before fleeing.

It was gathered that 15 minutes after the departure of the bandits that the men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad arrived the area.

No arrest had been made by the police as of the time of this report.

The men of the SARS were said to have recovered a gun and a mobile telephone dropped by the robbers at the scene of the incident.

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, Mr. Femi Joseph, confirmed the incident and said the command had commenced investigation into the incident.