Restaurant Owner, Husband Die After Eating Poisoned Food
The motive behind the crime remains unknown, but one thing is certain - a man and his wife died after they ate their last supper.
A 35 year-old man, Paul Nchui, has been arrested for allegedly poisoning food served in a restaurant.
Annah Erah, who ran the restaurant died of the food poisoning alongside her husband while 44 others have been hospitalised.
The restaurant is located at Aragbang-Oboso Roundabout in Oboso community in Ogoja LGA in Cross River.
Police Public Relations Officer, Irene Ugbo, said that the police had to trail the suspect to his hideout in the same community where he was arrested.
She said, “I wish to inform you that one Mr. Paul Nchui, a suspect who poisoned a restaurant in Oboso community in Ogoja has been arrested.
"The suspect is in our custody, we will charge him to court as soon as we conclude our investigation.”
Ugbo, who did not state the reason for the suspect’s action, however, said that some victims of food poison have been discharged while others were still receiving treatment.
An eyewitness, Joseph Ogaga, said the deceased Anna Erah was a food vendor at Aragbang-Oboso roundabout, where she did her business, while her husband also sold palm wine at the same venue.
The deceased couple left behind five children.
Another eyewitness, Mr. Thomas Adogo, said he suspects that the poison was put in the soup sauce.
He said, “Those who bought the soup to use in their homes also suffered symptoms of foaming and vomiting blood.”