Nigeria's battle to end the activities of Boko Haram terrorists sometimes rub off on the people.

The northeast has been an area demanding concentration of the nation's security apparatus for over 8 years now.

In that region, Borno has been the stronghold of the terrorists group that has now been decimated and chased out of communities they once occupied.

The onslaught against the group has continued and last week a major attack was launched against the group that has resorted to suicide attacks and calculated attacks on communities.

Troops of Operation DEEP PUNCH II Effect had closed in on Boko Haram members in Chikun Gudu, in the norther part of Borno State and forced regrouping members of the group to scatter after some of them were killed.  

In that operation, the troops rescued at least 700 persons from Boko Haram which had taken hold of a large part of the area.

No one is sure of where the fleeing members of the terrorist group could run to and the state government is putting measures in place to protect the capital city, a resident of the state, who asked not to be mentioned, told Bounce News.

Vehicles coming into Maiduguri from neighbouring communities have been subjected to thorough search and identification of passengers to ensure fleeing members of Boko Haram do not sneak into the capital city and wreak havoc, the resident added.

READ MORE INTERESTING STORIES FOR FREE. DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

There had been curfew in Maiduguri before the attack on the terrorists that happened prior to the New Year, but the military quickly advised the state government to reschedule the curfew time.

It was before now observed between 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., but was adjusted to now commence by 8:00 p.m. and close at its usual time.

The government had said the new schedule would last for five days between January 2 and 6, but that is no longer the case.

On Friday, the Borno government announced an extension of the curfew in Maiduguri for another seven days maintaining the new 8:00 p.m. to 6: 00 a.m. schedule.

Persons rescued from Boko Haram
Some rescued women and children from Boko Haram insurgents

A statement by Dr Muhammad Bulama, the Commissioner for Information, said the curfew was extended to January 12.

Bulama said that the curfew was based on “strong” advice of the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole.

“The state government hereby announces the extension of the rescheduled curfew time earlier announced 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. every day by another one week.

“In other words, the prevailing curfew regime is to now last until Friday, 12th January, 2018,” the government’s statement read.

Bulama explained that the action was to avail the Armed Forces sufficient time to complete the ongoing special operation against Boko Haram terrorists and consolidate on the success so far recorded.

Also Read: Why Boko Haram Loves Night Attacks

Some residents have raised concerns over the situation that some of them said was stifling their business activities, but the state government said it deeply regretted the inconveniences and difficulties caused to the people by the action.

Bulama stressed that the decision was taken to safeguard the collective security and overall wellbeing of the people.

"Government therefore urges all indigenes and residents of Borno State to see this temporary measure as part of necessary sacrifices we all have to make in the interest of peace, stability, development and progress of not only our dear state, but Nigeria as a whole.

"The understanding, support and cooperation of the general public is highly solicited in the observance of the curfew," he said.

WATCH THE NEW AGE OF #DigitalRunsGirls