Parenting: Baby-Proofing Your Home Is Not An Option, It's A Must
Last week, news of the tragic death of Daniel Oyebanjo III, son of Nigerian entertainer/businessman, Dapo Oyebanjo, a.k.a D'banj hit the airwaves and everyone was collectively shocked and saddened by it.
According to reports, the 13-month old toddler drowned in the family pool at their Ikoyi home. At the time of the incident, D'banj was away in Los Angeles, attending the 2018 BET Awards.
Many Nigerians have vehemently blamed the baby's grieving mother, Leone Oyebanjo, for the accident, claiming that she was careless and negligent. However, nobody knows that for sure because we were not there.
This is one of many cases of child drowning that occur annually, many of which could have been prevented. This brings us to the issue of baby-proofing our homes.
In Nigeria, we grew up with the notion that a child should be 'allowed' to encounter certain accidents because "experience is the best teacher". A common example is letting your curious infant stick their hand into a candle flame because when they get burned, they won't go near a lit candle again. This style of 'training' is not only cruel but dangerous.
Before bringing a child into the world, it is very important to ensure that you (literally) set the stage to make their life and growing up as easy and painless as possible. Once your baby starts crawling, make sure that electrical sockets are covered and harmful or sharp objects like knives, needles, glassware are kept out of the child's reach.
Growing babies are attracted to just about anything, and everything they see is a potential play thing. So you need to be on the lookout and ensure that anything that can hurt them is not within their visual range or reach.
Keep doors closed or locked, especially the ones that lead to the bathroom, or the kitchen, or even out of the house. Phones and other gadgets should also not be left lying around where the baby can pick them up and into their mouth. Parenting is not an easy task; you just need to always be alert and be mindful of your young one because the fact is, you are responsible for their safety.
Also watch: Why African Teams Crashed Out Of Russia 2018 | Over The Bottles