The death toll from a major earthquake that struck Papua New Guinea in February has risen to 125, police said on Wednesday.

A 7.5-magnitude quake struck the Pacific nation's mountainous interior on February 26, burying homes and causing landslides, making it hard to reach isolated villages.

Police say the toll has now reached 125 up from 100 last week, as more news filtered in from remote communities.

ALSO READ: Many Escape Death As Tanker Falls On Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

"From the reports received at the command centres, 45 have died so far in the Southern Highlands and in Hela province 80 people are confirmed dead," the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary said in a statement.

"It is expected that the figure might increase once all people have been accounted for."

It added that 15 000 people had been displaced in the Southern Highlands and at least 20 000 in Hela, with many now in temporary shelters. Schools remain closed.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

You call it #Nigeria, we call it #Naija - #OurMusic