Lawmakers at the Nigerian Senate are gearing up to square it off with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo over alleged misappropriation of 33 billion naira meant for internally displaced persons in the northeast.

The Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, told SUNDAY PUNCH that the upper legislative chamber would commence the probe as soon as the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee concluded its own investigation.

Already, the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee, probing the alleged scam, had said Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, in his capacity as the chairman of the programme (Presidential Intervention Programme for Northeast), and the Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mr Mustapha Maihaja, were culpable.

Also Read: PROVEN! Buhari's Govt Plunges Nigeria Into N25 Trillion Debt

The Senate spokesman spoke just as NEMA stated that the probe by the House into the 5.8-billion-naira Presidential intervention funds, approved by the vice president for the North-East, was shocking and should not be directed at NEMA alone.

The Chairman of the Reps panel, Mr Ali Isa (APC, Gombe), had told journalists on Tuesday last week that Osinbajo, as chairman of the programme, issued directives leading to the release of the funds, while the NEMA DG supervised the execution of the directives.

The Reps panel also specifically indicted Osinbajo for allegedly approving 5.8 billion naira North-East Intervention Fund, which it claimed was illegal.

Don't forget to share this story with your friends.

Also Watch: