The commissioning of the Osun state residency identity card could have turned fatal on Wednesday.

The hall meant for the supposedly ground-breaking event had been filled beyond capacity with less than adequate ventilation.

Dignitaries including the Ooni of Ife, HRM Adeyeye Ogunwusi and the 80-year-old Owa Obokun of Ijesaland, Oba Gabriel Aromolaran, were seen sweating profusely.

But if their suffering ended there, it probably would not have made the news.

As if not sensitive to the already horrible challenge facing the event, organisers of the launching then decided to light up fireworks.

The high reaching sparks threatened to consume the asbestos in the hall while it emitted thick smoke that added to the plight of the audience.

By the time the obviously needless fireworks display died down, the dignitaries were coughing and grasping for breath while those who could not stand it ran outside.

Others left in the hall covered their nostrils with whatever they could lay their hands on.

Recognizing their goof and the danger they just exposed the guests to, the organizers were quick to apologize, describing it as a "fatal disaster just averted".

"Thank God we have agile traditional rulers, and a hall devoid of the presence of those suffering from asthma. I apologize, we are sorry,” Governor Aregbesola said.

Perhaps the presence of the Owa Obokun should have given the guests confidence that nothing would go wrong.

He recently said that he would live up to 200 years.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

WATCH: This Journalist Wants To Unseat Buhari In 2019