No one died but a few sustained injuries when Ghanaians were protesting against the death of a citizen allegedly killed by a Nigerian.

There were fears that some Nigerians may have been killed in retaliation, but the Nigerian government says no Nigerian died during the August 20 protest by Ghanaians.

The murdered Ghanaian man was killed on August 18.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday, the reports which claimed that five Nigerians were killed the protest was not true.

The ministry, however, said that some Nigerians sustained injuries and property was damaged.

“There was no death recorded of any Nigerian national as the result of the alleged incident, the Nigerian is still protective custody of the police in Ghana,” the ministry stated.

It then asked Nigerians to be law abiding and desist from actions that would tarnish the nation’s image.

Protest action in Atteridgeville


The ministry gave the assurance that Nigeria would continue to cooperate with the Ghanaian authorities.

Trouble started after the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana indicated that a Nigerian lodged a complaint at the police station about a deceased Ghanaian, regarding a theft in his residence.

The ministry said: “While investigations were ongoing, the deceased Ghanaian had crept into the Nigerian’s apartment and attacked him for reporting the case to the police.

“However, the deceased Ghanaian was overpowered by the Nigerian who in self-defence stabbed him on the head and

The Nigerian was subsequently placed in protective custody by the Ghanaian police,” it stated.

Also Read: Ghanaians Allegedly Kill 5 Nigerians To Protest Citizen’s Murder

The ministry said that the report from the high commission stated that when the news, however, filtered into the streets of Accra that a Ghanaian had been killed by a Nigerian it led to a riot.

The High Commission ascertained the circumstances of the alleged attack and the latest reports from the Mission indicated that the Ghanaian Police intervened promptly.

Nigerians have continued to leave the nation for other countries, with European countries topping the list.

Many more are ready to take the desperate road journey through the desert and here is a video of such journeys and why people opt for it.