Nigerian Soldiers Missing After Boko Haram Attack Military Base
While attention is gradually shifting from Boko Haram attacks to herdsmen ambush, the former are still very much dangerous and active.
In the late hours of Saturday, an attack by Boko Haram insurgent on a military base left many Nigerian troops missing.
The insurgents invaded the military base in Yobe state where about 700 soldiers are keeping watch.
It is the same location over 100 girls were kidnapped earlier in the year.
Agence France Presse claimed a source said fewer than 100 soldiers returned following the attack, which took place just 24 hours after Boko Haram fighters ambushed a military convoy in neighbouring Borno State on Friday.
“Boko Haram terrorists attacked troops of the 81st Division Forward Brigade at Jilli village in Geidam district. The terrorists came in huge numbers around 7:30 pm and overran the base after a fierce battle that lasted until 9:10 pm,” said the military source.
“The base had 734 troops. Currently, the commander of the base and 63 soldiers have made it to Geidam (60 kilometres away) while the remaining 670 are being expected.”
“We don’t know if there were any casualties among the troops. That will be known later,” he said, adding that the base was new and the troops had recently arrived from Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family
ALSO WATCH: FIBA World Cup Qualifiers | D'Tigers Are Unbeaten