Meningitis Kills More People In Sokoto
More deaths are being reported in Sokoto State caused by Meningitis.
The disease is an inflammation (swelling) of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord known as the meninges.
Meningitis is usually caused by bacteria or viruses.
Fear of the disease is increasing, as the chairman of the Rabah Local Government Area of Sokoto, Mr Salisu Gandi, said four deaths have been recorded in March.
After visiting patients receiving treatment on Tuesday in Gwaddodi, Riji dispensaries and Rabah General Hospital, Gandi told Bounce News that Gwaddodi Dispensary recorded one death while three deaths were recorded in Rabah General Hospital before the situation was brought under control.
Gandi adds that the local government had set up isolation camps across 10 wards in the area for the speedy treatment of patients.
"The state government has since deployed a medical team, ambulances, free drugs and medicament to the local government area.
"The local government also bought drugs worth more than N1million as well as deployed additional medical teams and ambulances to complement the efforts of the state government.
"This swift intervention by the Sokoto State and Rabah Local Governments has led to the drastic reduction of the cases," he explained.
Gandi said that the massive sensitisation campaign by state and local authorities paid off, as the people are reporting suspected cases to health officials.
Villagers had stayed away from hospitals, believing that the ailment was a curse. Traditional belief had stopped them from going to the hospital.
But Mr Gandi explained that the campaign centred on enlightening the people against linking the epidemic to witchcraft or sorcery.
The State Health Commissioner, Dr Balarabe Kakale, had on Monday said 23 people died of meningitis in 7 worst hit local council areas of the state.
The affected local governments were Kebbe, Bodinga, Rabah, Wamakko, Gada, Dange/Shuni and Tureta.
An Officer in Charge of Rabah General Hospital, Mr Abubakar Bala, further stated that the situation had been brought under control.
"We recorded no fewer than 102 cases of meningitis in the hospital between March 3 to date, but the cases have drastically reduced.
"At present, we have only two meningitis-related patients on admission as against between 20 and 30 patients we recorded daily previously," he said.
Bala, however, appealed to the state government to deploy more health personnel and provide ambulances.
The leader of the State Medical Team deployed to the area, Dr Duru Romanus, also expressed satisfaction that the number of cases reported to the hospital had drastically reduced.
"Since last Saturday, a significant improvement has been recorded and there was no death," Romanus added.
The Supervisory Health Councillor in the area, Mr Abubakar Gwaddodi has called for the rehabilitation and expansion of the Gwaddodi dispensary, as well as the deployment of more medical personnel.
The state government had on March 20 declared a state of high alert in the health sector following outbreak of meningitis epidemic in the state.