Man Dies As Candle Fire Burns Two-Storey Building In Lagos
A man has burnt to death during a inferno, which gutted a house at the Somolu area of Lagos State on Tuesday.
The man, simply identified as Al-Wajud, and a tenant in the building, was said to be drunk before going to bed and was deep in his sleep when the fire started.
He died before he could be rushed to the hospital.
The fire, it was gathered, was caused after a candle fell on the rug in the landlord’s son’s apartment.
The landlord’s son, Abiola, was said to have lit a candle and fell asleep.
Unfortunately, the candle fell on the rug in his apartment.
The incident, which happened at House 4, Akinrinlo Street, threw occupants and members of the community into mourning.
One of the victims, who identified himself simply as Adebolawe, said: “We were sleeping about 1a.m. when we heard a loud sound from the roof of the building. “Immediately we heard the sound, every tenant in the house rushed out only to see flame on the roof of the building.
We started running around, looking for water to put out the fire. While we were looking for water, my wife was struggling to rescue the children and to savage some of our property. Unfortunately we couldn’t bring out anything. Fire consumed everything.”
Firefighters were said to have arrived the scene about 3a.m., after the fire had burnt down the whole building.