A year has gradually slipped by and Leah Sharibu is still in Boko Haram's captivity.  

When the news filtered in on February 19, 2018, that Boko Haram's splinter group, the Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP) had attacked a girls' secondary school in Dapchi, Yobe State, fears of another abduction of girls rose.

It came nearly four years since some girls were taken from their school's dormitory in Chibok, Borno State. 

Hours after that attack news came that Boko Haram terrorists left with over 100 girls. 

Leah Sharibu was one of them. 

One month after they were taken, the terrorists returned the abducted students, but Leah was not part of them. 

Her schoolmates had alleged that her refusal to renounce her Christian faith resulted in her prolonged captivity.

Leah Sharibu one year in captivity

She has been in Boko Haram's captivity since that time and the terrorists group had few months ago said she would be a slave for life

Today, February 19, marks a year that Leah has been in captivity.

The Nigerian government has continued to assure her parents that she would be freed, but that has not happened.

Also Read: Follow The #NigeriaDecides2019 Process, Join The Conversation

To mark Leah's one year in captivity, some Nigerians, apparently led by Reno Omokri, a former aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, held a protest in front of Nigeria’s High Commission London.

Leah Sharibu one year in captivity protest holds i

They made just one demand - FREE LEAH.

Mr Omokri shared some pictures of persons at the protest and wrote: "HAPPENING NOW: Marking In Front of Nigeria’s High Commission London ".

He further claimed to have spoken to Leah’s mother, Rubeccah Sharibu.

"She (Rubeccah) thanked the protesters and we shared a word of prayer with her," he added, talking about the woman who has been in grief.  

Mr Omokri had written a book on the story of Leah and how it had become difficult to get her out of Boko Haram's captivity. 

Efforts have been on to rescue the girl and reunite her with her parents, but a spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, Femi Adesina, said on national television that only God could tell when the girl would return

If you enjoyed reading this and our other stories, please, share with friends and loved ones.

Election Postponed: APC Asks INEC Chairman To Resign