Students of Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH) were in school on Wednesday as always, but there were no academic activities.

The officials had downed tools, adhering to a clarion call - an industrial action.  

August 1, was the last work day set by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic (ASUP), LASPOTECH chapter, for the indefinite strike and the officials of the institution made sure they kept their promise.

They are asking for the payment of their migration arrears.

The union said the strike would “remain indefinite, total and comprehensive until the demands of the unions were met’’.

The strike also affected other sister unions ASUP — the Non-Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (NASUP) and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Polytechnic (SSANIP).

It could be considered as a resumption of an earlier suspended strike due to a failure by the institution’s management to meet their demands after a month’s grace.

According to the notice, the Lagos State Government had intervened in the strike by the unions through the House of Assembly Committee on Education and that was why it was suspended then.

“Congress had unanimously resolved that the committee that was to be set up by the House Committee on Education to find a lasting solution to the issues of migration arrears be given till 31st July 2017.

“Failure of which the union will resume its suspended strike without notice.

“It is rather sad to inform you that after the committee has identified substantial amount to pay 12 months as the first tranche, the management turned in a document from National Board of Technical Education (NBTE) to truncate an already laid process for payment.

“As it stands, dear comrades, if by 12 midnight, the 12 months arrears in the first tranche is not paid, the strike will resume on Aug. 1. It is indefinite, total and comprehensive,’’ it read.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Head, Public Relations Unit, LASPOTECH, Mr Oluwasola Erinoso, claimed that talk was still ongoing on how to pay the outstanding arrears and the process for the payment before the union resumed the strike on August 1.