Lagos Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 10
Rescue effort is still on, but sadly 10 lives have been lost
Officials of Lagos' relevant agencies are on ground working hard to save more lives, as chances of survival narrow down for persons trapped under a building that crumbled on Tuesday.
Ten bodies have so far been removed from the debris of the now-levelled 4-storey building in the Lagos Island area of Lagos State.
A collaborative rescue operation is ongoing at the scene at Messey street in Odunfa, near Adeniji Adele area of Lagos State.
On ground are officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), State Fire Service, LASEMA Response Unit and the Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps (LNSC).
A spokesman for LASEMA, Adesina Tiamiyu, said 8 bodies have been removed from the rubble while 15 persons have been rescued.
The building collapsed in the afternoon on Tuesday.
Relatives of victims are taking the bodies in auto rickshaw, popularly referred to as Keke to perform burial rites.
Bounce News correspondent at the site, Tony Smart, reports that a telecommunication mast was on the building before it came down. It is not clear which telecommunication company the mast belongs to.
"The atmosphere is a bit tense. Relatives of victims and sympathisers are crying," Tony said.
Many of the residents are speculating that the mast may have led to the collapse of the building. It was installed 2 weeks ago.
The collapse is coming at a time heavy rain had caused flooding in some areas of the state. The area is the Lagos lagoon and water is a few metres away from the surface.
It is not clear what caused the collapse, but building collapse that has been on the increase in the state has been attributed to poor quality of materials and contractors tendencies of cutting-corners, not following regulations.
The building is said to have been built some 37 years ago.In May, several persons were killed in a building that collapsed in Ilasamaja area of Lagos State.