Kerosine Explosion Kills Abia Lawmaker
Obioma Ali, who represents Isiala Itu, Ward 12 in the Obingwa Local Government Legislative council, was said to have been refilling her lantern with kerosene when the substance, suspected to have been adulterated, exploded and got her badly burnt.
The incident, which happened on Sunday, affected her hands, face and body parts and was rushed to the Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH) where doctors battled to save her life.
The lawmaker reportedly died two days after the incident.
Until her death, she was the Deputy Chief Whip and Chairman, Committee of Women Affairs.
A federal government policy banning importation of 'dirty' petroleum products, which was announced in 2016 by former Minister of the Environment, Amina Mohammed, failed to take effect on July 1 and no explanation was given by federal authorities.