JUST IN: At Least Four Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri
The full gist about the Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri on Thursday may not have been heard.
The Nigerian Army had said in a statement that the army foiled the attack on Thursday.
But new reports from the national emergency management agency, NEMA say at least four people were killed in the attack.
Five suicide bombers were also killed in the attack.
Blasts and gunfire were heard by residents in the city which is the capital of Borno during the attack which took place late Thursday.
“There are five suicide bombers who died while trying to detonate IEDs (improvised explosive devices), there are also innocent citizens, four of them, that lost their lives,” Bashir Idris Garga, the northeast Nigeria coordinator for NEMA said on Friday.
Boko Haram militants attempted to enter Maiduguri earlier this month, fighting soldiers in an attack in which at least 15 people were killed and 83 injured.
In the course of fighting the latest attack, the military said troops had been supported by the air force, police and other security agencies.
Witnesses had reported a heavy military presence and crowded streets as people attempted to flee to safety.
Hundreds of residents who fled the area Thursday night were returning home by the following morning, according to a Reuters journalist at the scene.
The signs of battle were still clear, with the charred body of a man among the tents in a camp for people displaced by the conflict, and an unexploded bomb dropped by the Nigerian air force lying nearby.
The government has been saying since December 2015 that the jihadist group has been defeated but high-profile attacks in the last few months - including the kidnap of 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi and a strike in the town of Rann that killed three aid workers - has shown the jihadists remain active.
Also Watch: Boko Haram: The Untold Borno Stories