IPOB's activities have been officially banned.

The Nigerian government's request to proscribe the Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), a group in the South East Region, has been granted.

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday granted the Federal Government an interim injunction proscribing activities of IPOB.

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Abdul Kafarati, granted the injunction in chambers.

The Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, had filed an exparte application urging the court to grant the injunction.

Crisis that followed last week's military deployment to the region had made the government file the request.

The Minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed, had said President Muhammadu Buhari earlier gave a written approval for the proscription of the group, pending legal process.

He had approved that before he left for the United States for the United Nations General Assembly, Mr Mohammed said.

Also Read: Buhari Approved Proscription Of Biafra – Lai Mohammed

Governors of the Southeast states took the first step to ban the activities of the group after the military had declared it a Militant Terrorist Organisation.

The group had resisted the deployment of troops to South East for Operation Egwu Eke II, insisting that it was the target of the military.

The Nigerian Army has denied that claim, insisting the deployment was a strategy to check crime and agitations.

The Senate President had said that the proscription by the governors and the categorisation of the group as a terrorist organisation were unconstitutional.

But the court injunction has now come, cementing the proscription of the group's activities.

Watch what veteran soldiers are saying about the agitation and their experience in the past civil war.