I Did Not Fund Offa Robbers, Kwara Governor Says
The Governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed, says he has nothing to do with the suspects in police custody in connection with the famous Offa robbery.
Earlier on Sunday, the police issued a statement in which it claimed that some of the suspects in its custody that were involved in the robbery of four banks in the Kwara State town had alleged that they were political thugs of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and the Governor of Kwara State.
After that police statement spread, Governor Ahmed denied the allegation in a statement by his spokesman, Dr. Muyideen Akorede.
It is a false allegation, he said.
“Kwara State Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed denies the allegations of
supporting political thuggery or any other acts of criminality as alleged by
the Nigeria Police or the suspects allegedly arrested in connection with the
tragic Offa robbery.
“Neither has he at any time funded or provided arms to any individual or group in the state or anywhere in the country,” the statement read.
However, the Governor said his government had empowered several youth groups under its Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) scheme, but highlighted that whatever the beneficiaries did with what they were given, was not something the government should be held liable for.
Complete your investigations and charge the suspects to court as soon as possible in line with the dictates of the rule of law, the Governor told the police.
youth and women groups have benefited from the scheme to date. However, at no
point did the Kwara State government directly provide funds to any group known
as Good Boys for any purpose.
"Similarly, if any of the beneficiaries chose to use the SME credit secured from the government to purchase a vehicle which was then alleged to have been used for an act of criminality, the Kwara State Governor and indeed the state government cannot be held liable for such actions since neither had prior knowledge of such intentions on beneficiaries’ part," the statement further read.
The Senate President has not responded to the allegations in the statement released hours ago by the police.
He has been invited for questioning by the Nigeria Police Force in connection with the robbery that claimed at least 33 lives, with several others were injured.