Barely 24 hours after the tragic death of an Okada rider, Kayode Esan, medical officers are battling to save his wife and their unborn baby at an undisclosed hospital in Akure.

Tragedy struck on Friday afternoon when an Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) petrol tanker allegedly crushed the Okada rider to death at Alagbaka area of Akure, creating a pandemonium, an angry protest and unimaginable traffic jam at the state capital.

According to a source close to the family, the wife of the deceased fainted after receiving the shocking news of her husband's death.

"Yes, Kemi has been rushed to the hospital. We wanted to conceal the news from her at least for now because of her condition but somehow, the news got to her and she fainted immediately.

"She is still unconscious as I speak but the doctors are on top of the situation and we are hoping she will be fine with her baby." The source said.

A neighbour to the family in Oshinle area of Akure confirmed that the couple got married last year and must have had a little bit delay which accounts for reason the wife is still pregnant with their first baby.

Also read: 3 Quick Steps To Get New BOUNCE FOOTBALL Feature

"They got married around August last year and am sure if not for some reasons that have to do with conception, the woman should have been nursing their baby by now.

"It is really unfortunate that Kayode's life has to end like this. Our prayer right now is for the wife to survive the shock and still retain the pregnancy."

It was gathered that the victim, Kayode Esan, was trapped in between the NNPC tanker's front tyres after it's driver lost control due to a brake failure.

Eyewitnesses, however, blamed the incident on the traffic police officers who, after noticing the tanker's driver had lost control, should have quickly passed the waiting deceased to avert the disaster.

His younger brother who was on the passenger's sit was said to have jumped down from the bike after sighting the danger behind.

Confirming the incident, the state police spokesman, Femi Joseph, said normalcy had returned to the area and that the deceased had been taken to the state hospital.

Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family.

ALSO WATCH: AWCON 2018: Bounce Sports Exclusive Chat With Super Falcons