Government To Prosecute AWOL N-Power Beneficiaries
“You cannot run away with the stipend and go free.”
That is the message the Nigerian government is sending to all beneficiaries of the N-Power stipend that have refused to appear in their primary places of assignment.
The decision to prosecute the volunteers was announced on Wednesday by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Job Creation (N-Power Scheme), Afolabi Imoukhuede.
Mr. Imoukhuede, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the government discovered that 17 N-power volunteers had been receiving salary since Decembers but have abandoned their primary places of assignment.
“This issue of them not going to work is exception that we are not going to take chances.
“We are going to really blow that exception so that it becomes a deterrent.
“Because in the school where I identified them, their dutiful colleagues, the volunteers who are the true Ambassadors of N-power, are there and they know these people.
“So now if we don’t investigate and prosecute them they now get de-motivated.
“They must remain motivated to continue to work regardless of what season it is; rainy season, dry seasons or what have you,” he stressed.
Another 5 volunteers, who were also discovered to be collecting unbroken stipends since December, have also stopped going to their primary places of assignment.
The government’s spokesman said the discovery of non-performing N-power volunteers is due to the collaboration between the Federal Government and all state governments through a monitoring framework put in place.
“The scheme is an overwhelming success in terms of attendance as some volunteers showed passion on their jobs in spite of other challenges.”
He highlighted that his visit to different states for interactive sessions are to ensure that Buhari’s message that`this is pay-for-work-done’ and not a bonanza.