FULL TEXT: See Details Of The Peace Pact Buhari And Others Signed
Some Nigerian political parties led by the ruling All Progressives Congress on Tuesday signed a peace pact to ensure peaceful elections in 2019.
While some major political parties were absent at the event held at the International Conference Center in Abuja, others present went on to pen the agreement.
These are the details of the agreement the parties committed themselves to, as recorded in the signed document:
1. To run issue-based campaigns at national, state and local government levels; In this, we pledge to refrain from campaigns that will involve religious incitement ethnic or tribal profiling, both by ourselves and by all agents acting in our names;
2. To refrain from making or causing to make in our names or that of our party, any public statements, pronouncements, declarations or speeches that have the capacity to incite any form of violence before, during and after the elections;
3. To commit themselves and political parties to the monitoring of the adherence to the accord by a National Peace Committee made up of respected statesmen and women, traditional and religious leaders;
4. To support all the institutions of government including INEC and security agencies to act and be seen to act with impartiality
5. To forcefully and publicly speak out against provocative utterances and oppose all acts of electoral violence, whether perpetrated by supporters and/or opponents.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family.
ALSO WATCH: My Transition Hours: Nigerians React To Goodluck Jonathan's Book Launch