Footballers Suffer Food Poisoning After Eating 'Semo And Egusi'
Nigeria Professional Football League club, Remo Stars suffered food poisoning ahead of their match-day 28 fixture against FC Ifeanyi Ubah.
The Ogun State club said on Saturday that the players and officials ate semovita and egusi soup, but started complaining moments after.
The game has been rescheduled to hold on Tuesday, with kickoff fixed for 4pm.
"It's such a disastrous incident, we have prepared well for the game against Ifeanyi Ubah and have had the players resting after dinner which they had Semovita and Egusi only for me to get a call that they are in pain and all I could think of is getting them to the hospital alongside the Team Doctor,” club secretary Michael Onikute said.
"In a bid to keep them safe and have a clean bill of health, the camp was fumigated yesterday only for this casualty to befall us on the eve of a vital game against IfeanyiUbah."
The players began complaining of stomach pain and tiredness, from about 7pm on Saturday.
Players affected include Umar Martaba, Oknuoghae Osas, Edozie Ewelike, Onovo David, Ekene Awazie, Abiodun Awoyemi, Ekene Obi, Saidu Muhammed, Paul Isaac the reserve goalkeeper, David Walbe, and Shuji Oshobe, Akeem Taiwo.
Mbaoma, the most ill, was hardly able to walk. Officials affected are goalkeeper Trainer Dahiru Ilu and Media Officer Oladimeji Oshode.
Affected players were rushed down to Ikenne health center as team doctor Mr James is currently treating some players ensuring they get fluids in order not to suffer from dehydration while others are been monitored to ensure they recover from this health casualty.
The League Management Company said few hours to Sunday’s kickoff that it is expecting Doctor’s report on the situation, and wishes the affected players and officials quick recovery.
Remo Stars ?? FC Ifeanyiubah: Match officials expecting a formal doctor's report following claims of food poisoning by the home team #NPFL