Five Takeaways From Ambode's Speech Conceding Defeat To Sanwo-Olu
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State has congratulated the winner of the All Progressives Congress governorship primaries held across the state on Tuesday, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Ambode in a televised broadcast on Wednesday said the interests of the state must always supersede that of any person or group.
Bounce News listened to the speech which was broadcast on the state-owned Lagos Television.
Here are 5 things he did with his concession speech:
1. He admitted that the last few days for him have been tough and rough.
He said: "The last few days have witnessed intense political activities that have gripped the attention of the nation and created palpable tension in the polity.
"I strongly believe that the time has now come for the state to move forward in order that the gains of the last three and half years are not lost.
2. Ambode used his speech to – on the one hand – emphasise his loyalty to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and on the other hand used it to rally support for Sanwo-Olu.
"Dear Lagosians, APC is a great party and the interests of our beloved state must always supercede that of any person or group. It is in this regard that I wholeheartedly congratulate the winner of the Lagos State APC Primaries, Babajide Sanwo-Olu and urge all Lagosians to immediately support our party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2019 elections and work for the success of our dear party.
3. He used his speech to balance two key power blocks within the APC that seem to be in a proxy battle at the moment.
One power block is that of APC leader and former governor, Bola Tinubu. The other block is of his (Ambode) supporters.
"I appeal to all our party members that we remain one family and unite behind the candidate of the party so that we can continue to move this state forward.
4. Ambode also used the speech to touch on his overall vision for Lagos.
"The progress of Lagos state is non-negotiable. It is a project that I have passionately worked for in the last three and half years as your Governor and one to which I will forever be devoted.
5. Ambode also emphasised that despite his inability to secure a second term under the APC, he remains grateful to the national leader of the party, Bola Tinubu and other members of the party for giving him the opportunity to serve.
"I wish to use this opportunity to thank our national leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and the leadership of our great party at state and national levels, all party faithfuls and all Lagosians.
You like this story? Share it!
ALSO WATCH: APC THUGS BROKE MY HEAD BECAUSE I SUPPORT ADELEKE ADEMOLA