Fire gutted a section of Binukonu Ultra-Modern Market, Ojota in Lagos in the early hours of Friday, destroying goods and property worth millions of Naira.

This was the third fire incident at the market in three years. Previous incidents occurred in 2015 and November 2017.

Friday’s fire, which was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault, started at 1.30am and razed over fifty stalls in the market.

At 4.10am when the NAN correspondent arrived at the scene, firefighters who came with two trucks from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) were seen putting out the blaze, which was still raging.

Meanwhile, panicky traders tried to salvage their goods in their shops from the approaching fire.

Alhaja Rehanat Salami, the female Head of the market (Iya-Oloja) said that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

“I heard that this fire was caused by an electrical spark, I had warned everyone to always turn off their electricity connections when there is a power outage.

“We make sure we put off all the lights when we close for the day at the market,” she said.

READ: 5 Common Habits That Cause Fire Outbreak

The secretary of the market, Mr Gbenga Fayemi revealed previous efforts the management of the market had made to prevent a recurrence of a fire outbreak.

“The traders had not fully recovered from the previous incidents when this one occurred despite all our efforts to prevent a reoccurrence.

“When the first incident occurred Hon. Rotimi Agunsoye of the House of Representatives, gave us some firefighting equipment.

“When the second incident occurred, we tried using the equipment, but it didn’t quench the fire.

“I also installed the equipment in all these shops that got burnt because I was told that the equipment will burst and stop the fire when a fire begins but I was surprised that it did not work today,” he said.

#BounceAwoof: WIN a 4 million naira trip to London or Dubai!

Fayemi said the fire services did not arrive at the scene till about 2.30am which was an hour after the first call was made to alert them about the blaze.

“When they came, their water was not enough I had to tell them to send more water tankers here because the fire was much more than we expected.

“Two fire trucks are here from LASEMA, the fire fighters had to go to Ogba to get more water, I wonder why the water channels created by Lagos State Government don’t work,” he said.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

ALSO WATCH: Inside Makoko - Beauty And The Beast