So, a second bridge connecting the eastern Nigeria to the west has been in the works for years now, stalled by lack of funding and politics.

Now, a director of Highway Bridges and Design at the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Sogbesan Adetokunbo, says the main project on the second Niger bridge will gulp 210 billion Naira.

Adetokunbo, who said this on Friday in Asaba during a media tour of the project, noted that the Federal Government had begun the procurement processes for the award of the project.

He said that a memo had been written to the Bureau of Public Procurement and thereafter, would be sent to the Federal Executive Council for approval.

Also Read: Second Niger Bridge: What Fashola Wants

Adetokunbo told the media team led by Mr Theodore Ogaziechi, the Director of Information, Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing that, early works on the project were near completion.

He said that the early works were preliminary projects to be completed before the award of the main contract.

The director explained that the early works were in four phases, adding that phase one, two and three were 100% completed.

This, he said, involved the design of the road, soil investigation, preliminary drawing and final engineering drawing while early work two and three comprises of piling and embankment works.

He said early work was 45% completed and currently ongoing at the two ends of the bridge at Onitsha and Asaba axis.

Also Watch: Police Lay Siege To Senator Dino Melaye's House