Next time you take the wheels to drive in any Nigerian city please remember you have a duty to protect yourself and others - especially children.

A recent report published by federal authorities show speed limit violation was  a major cause of accidents in the last quarter of 2017. 

Figures from the National Bureau of Statistics show alarming trends on how many children died on Nigerian roads. 

Even though there was a drop in the number when compared to figures from the third quarter of 2017. 

In the last quarter of 2017, at least 1,306 persons died in road accidents and the NBS put the number of children in that quarter at 106 - which translates to 8 % of the sum. 

The figures were contained in NBS’ “Road Transport Data for Fourth Quarter 2017’’ posted on its website.

The NBS said that the remaining 1,200 of the total figure were adults.

READ MORE INTERESTING STORIES FOR FREE. DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

When compared with the data from quarter three of 2017, there is a drop in the percentage of children that died in road accident. 

data of road accident victims in Q4 of 2017 in Nig

"Similarly, a total of 1,070 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q3. 981 of the 1,070 Nigerians that got killed, representing 91.7% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 89 Nigerians, representing 8.3% of the figure are children," the Quarter Three report of the NBS stated.

According to the report, 1,019 males, representing 78% died in the period under review, while 287 females, representing 22%, died within the same period.

At least 2,489 road crashes occurred in the fourth quarter of 2017.

Also Read: How Train Crushed UNILAG Post-Graduate Student To Death 

The NBS says loss of control and dangerous driving by motorists represented 10.08% of crashes recorded in the fourth quarter.

More campaigns and sensitisation are needed to make drivers adhere to the speed limits while enforcement of the laws should be strictly administered to save the children. 

WATCH THE UNTOLD BOKO HARAM STORIES IN BORNO