Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike a.k.a. Evans is now living in fear.

Evans wept profusely in court on Monday when he appeared before Justice Adedayo Akintoye of the Lagos High Court, Igbosere.

Evans, who was taken to court by prison officials, had earlier created a mild drama when he refused to come out from the Black Maria vehicle that conveyed him to court.

It took the intervention of the trial judge who ordered prison officials to bundle him out of the vehicle and bring him to the court room.

He was brought into the court with his back filled with sand and his green tee shirt torn on the right shoulder as he walked in barefooted.

Immediately he was docked, Evans raised his hand, saying he had something to tell  the court.

He told Justice Akintoye that he was not being treated well in the prison and was not allowed to see any anybody. He also complained that he could hardly see far.

“I have an explanation to make since I have been in the maximum prison, they have been maltreating me, no visit, they don’t feed me well, I have an eye problem and I can not see far,” he said.

ALSO READ: Evans' Trial: Drama In Court As Lawyer Withdraws From Case

However, the prison warder from Kirikiri Maximum prison told the court that Evans, is being taken care of like every other inmate and that he has been seeing a doctor since he complained about his health.

“We have been treating him very well, he is well fed and people have been visiting him. The doctor has been checking him, the doctor came to check him on Sunday and even this morning before coming to court. Because he was saying he can’t be in court that he is not feeling fine, but when the doctor checked him on Sunday and this morning, the doctor said he was healthy and that he sees no reason why he can’t be in court”.

The warder told the court that Evans had refused to follow them from prison but he was dragged into the vehicle.

But Evans interrupted the prison warder that it was a nurse that came to check him and not a doctor and that he was only allowed one visit.

The second defendant’s counsel Ogedi Ogu, also told the court that his client has also been complaining of the same thing.

In her response to the alleged maltreatment of the defendants the State Director for Public Prosecutions (DPP), Titilayo Shitta-Bey, said that Evans was just making it up, as he is being treated well, and that doctor has also been attending to him.

“That was the same thing he said before an Ikeja High Court and we wrote the prisons and they wrote us back that he was being taken care of like every other inmate”.

Justice Akintoye, however, asked the prisons to ensure that he was well taken care of like the other inmate adding that the defendants are still presumed innocent until proven guilty.

After the court rose, Evans broke down in tears and said that he was being maltreated.

” What have I done to you people, they have been beating me, no good food, I have been locked up in one place since August 30 last year. Why are they taking my case personal?” Evans asked.

“Let me face my trial alive, why do you people want to kill me,” he said.

Evan's counsel, Olukoya Ogungbeje was absent in court.

Also Read: Evans Loses In Court

He had sent in a letter that the court should stand down the case as he was on his way, but Shitta-Bey, told the court that it might be another tactic to delay the matter again, adding that at the last adjourned date, he had also sent in a letter that he had an appeal on March 22, before the court of appeal.

She said “After he sent in a letter that he had an appeal before the court of appeal, we later discovered that the appeal was already taken on March 20 and not on March 22.

Evans was charged alongside Joseph Emeka, Ugochukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba.

The Lagos State Government had brought a fresh charge bordering on conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and attempted murder against Evans and the three others.

According to the charge, the accused and others still at large conspired and unlawfully captured one Uche Okorafor on November 21, 2014 at Festac Town, Lagos, demanding a ransom of two million dollars.

The offences contravened Sections 269 and 409 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011, according to the prosecution.

The case has been adjourned until May 25 for trial.

Efforts to speak with Ogungbeje proved abortive. He did not pick his calls when our correspondent tried to seek his opinion on the claims of his clients.

It was, however, gathered that Ogungbeje is doing everything possible to request for a transfer of the suspect from Kirikiri Maximum prison to another prison on the grounds that he is not being treated nicely there.