Ekiti Governorship: Fayemi Threatens To Drags APC To Court Over Suspended Primaries
Minister of Mines and Steel Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi has threatened to sue the All Progressives Congress (APC) if the results of the inconclusive Ekiti governorship primary is out rightly annulled by the party leadership.
Fayemi contested the election with about 30 other aspirants on Saturday.
The primary election, which was held at the Oluyemi Kayode stadium in Ado Ekiti was disrupted midway by suspected thugs owing to alleged fraudulent practices that dogged the exercise.
Some agents working for other aspirants had accused Fayemi of colliding with some security agencies and members of the Governor Tanko Al-Makura-led APC primary Committee to influence the result in favour of the Minister.
The Minister has denied the allegations.
Speaking through its campaign organization, Kayode Fayemi Campaign Organisation, the Minister said five local governments had voted before the uprising that led to the abrupt suspension of the exercise, saying the results were valid in the face of the Law and Electoral Acts.
He said the elections in Ekiti East, Moba, Ilejemeje, Ado and Ijero local governments had been concluded when the poll was disrupted.
One of Fayemi’s agents during the election, Samuel Abejide, who issued a statement of behalf of the campaign organisation, said the party owed it a duty to protect the rights of the party members, saying their voting right should not be an exemption in this case.
Abejide also accused the security agencies of compromise, wondering why the perpetrators of the destruction should be allowed to roam scot-free in the presence of more than 200 combined forces of security agents.