The death toll in the clash between factions of street urchins, popularly known as Area Boys in Oshodi rose from three to five  on Thursday.

While three died on Wednesday, two others died on Thursday during the reprisal attack.

Thursday's clash was a renewed clash between hoodlums from Orile, Seven Streets and Agbole.

Area boys from  these three areas have been at loggerheads over supremacy for many years.

During the clash several persons were wounded, while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed.

Shops, houses and vehicles were damaged while the clash lasted.

The clash started on Wednesday and continued tilll Thursday.

The initial stoppage of the clash by the police on Wednesday was broken shortly after the team left.

The hoodlums, during Thursday's clash, which lasted for about 50 minutes, grounded activities around Oshodi Road, Afariogun and Mafoluku  areas of Oshodi.

Guns, machetes, broken bottles and charms were used during the fracas;

An eyewitness, who identified himself simply as Gbolahan, said some Agbole boys first attacked Seven Streets boys on Wednesday.

He said: “They sent people running in different directions and looted some shops and robbed some innocent passers-by. They also destroyed some vehicles moving to Oshodi Road where they perpetrated similar acts.

"In the evening, some Seven Streets boys teamed up with Orile boys to attack Agbole and killed two of them.

"On Thursday morning, the Agbole boys regrouped and later unleashed mayhem in the area.

Another witness, Adekunle  Alao, said, “some people were killed during the fight. Although I cannot confirm the number of people who died, I can tell you that the fight was bloody. The area boys were shooting everywhere. Shop owners closed their shops and ran for their lives.

Temporary normalcy has returned to the area with the deployment of security personnel.

Those deployed to man the area, who were still in place as at the time of filing this report, included policemen from Makinde and Akinpelu Police Posts, operatives of the Rapid Response Squad and OPMESA and the Lagos State Task Force.

Lagos State Police spokesperson, Chike Oti who confirmed the incident, said that a fight broke out between a group of area boys in Oshodi.

"People have been arrested in connection with the incident and are undergoing interrogation to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the matter,” Oti said.

Those arrested are currently being detained and interrogated at Akinpelu Police station.


Lasgidi, Dream Big: No Retreat