A former Minister of Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro on Monday testified in the on going trial of the former Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose.

Fayose is standing trial alongside his company, Spotless, in a N6.9bn suit.

The sum was allegedly siphoned through the coffers of the National Security Adviser (NSA) to former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Obanikoro, being led in evidence by EFCC counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) told Justice Mojisola Olatoregun of the Federal High Court Lagos, that “in June, 2014 I received a call from Peter Ayodele Fayose, when we were approaching the gubernatorial election in Ekiti State, wanting to know if there is any message from National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki.

“But I replied no. Shortly after his call a message enter from NSA saying certain amount of money will be received into the account that was opened to manage Boko Haram threat under my watch as minister of state for defence.

"NSA told me that Fayose will call me as to how he will receive the money”

"A total equivalent of $5m from National Security Adviser impress account was given to Fayose by the order of NSA.

Obanikoro said that Fayose introduced one Biodun Agbele to him that he would be the one to receive the money on his behalf which was done in Akure Airport because it was physical cash.

“I had earlier wanted to transfer the dollars so that the naira equivalent can be withdrawn in Ado Ekiti which was the reason why I initially called Diamond Bank Managing Director but he replied that the bank does not have such capacity in Ado Ekiti for that huge amount of money.

Obanikoro said that the sum of N200 million was given to Fayose on the June 5, 2014 from National Security Adviser impress account.

He equally said that the sum of N2 billion was delivered to Fayose during Ekiti state election in 2014 from National Security Adviser impress account on June 16, 2014.

Obanikoro said his aide who is now late was in the meeting where Fayose acknowledged the receipt of total naira equivalent of $5m at Spotless Hotel, Ado Ekiti owned by Fayose.

Fayose’s counsel Kanu Agabi SAN applied for an adjournment to enable him cross examine Obanikoro.

Counsel to Fayose’s company Olalekan Ojo SAN who is also joint as a second defendant in the charge also urged Justice Olatoregun to adjourned the case to enable him conferred with his client.

Justice Olatoregun adjourned the case to February 4,5,and 6 2019.

EFCC had accused Fayose of receiving various funds from the office of former National Security Adviser impress account which is meant for security purposes.

According to the charge, on June 17, 2014, Fayose and Agbele were said to have taken possession of the sum of N1.2 billion, for purposes of funding his gubernatorial election campaign in Ekiti State, which sum they reasonably ought to have known formed part of crime proceeds.

Fayose was alleged to have received a cash payment of the sum of five million dollars, (about N1.8 billion) from the then Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, without going through any financial institution and which sum exceeded the amount allowed by law.

ALSO READ: Ekiti People, TraderMoni Is Coming

The alleged offences contravene the provisions of sections 15(1), 15 (2), 15 (3), 16(2)(b), 16 (d), and 18 (c) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2011.

If you enjoyed reading this and our other stories, please, share with friends and loved ones.

Atiku: I Will Sack CBN Governor If I'm Elected President