#DAPCHIGIRLS: School Shut Down After Attack
The feeling of de javu will best describe what's happening in Yobe.
Government Girls Science and Technology College in Dapchi, Yobe State, where 110 girls disappeared after a Boko Haram attack will remain closed, the state government said on Monday.
“The government girls school in Dapchi has not reopened. It’s not feasible to reopen the school in the current situation,” said Mohammed Lamin, the education commissioner.
“We still have over 100 girls that are unaccounted for. The other girls that were found are not in the right frame of mind to return to school. They are still in trauma,” he said.
Boko Haram fighters allegedly stormed the school last Monday.
The attack revived painful memories of a similar attack on another boarding school in Chibok, in neighbouring Borno state, in April 2014, in which more than 200 girls were kidnapped.
Initially, it was claimed that all the Dapchi students and teachers fled. The authorities shut the school for a week pending a head-count of returning students.
But as dozens of girls failed to reappear, parents began to fear the worst.
The federal government on Sunday said 110 of the 906 students were “unaccounted for”, stopping short of confirming they had been abducted but blaming the attack on Boko Haram.
FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE
WATCH BOUNCE WEEK ROUND UP