They say lightening does not strike twice, but recent happenings in Dapchi, Yobe state feel all too familiar; a clear case of history repeating itself.

On Monday February 19th, no fewer than 110 girls were kidnapped from Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, by suspected Boko Haram insurgents, taking us all back to April 14-15 2014 when 276 female students were kidnapped from a girls secondary school in Chibok.

While the exact number of missing girls from Dapchi remain contentious, a number of girls who managed to escape have shared their horrifying story.

14-year old Yagana Mustapha was one of five lucky escapees who spoke to online portal, The Cable and she said her classmates were unaware of the fact that their attackers were not military men.

''They did not know they were not soldiers. They thought they will help them. That was why they entered the car. Some of them were crying and shouting” she said.

Also watch: Boko Haram - The Untold Borno Stories

Narrating how the attack happened, another lucky student, 14-year old Ajara Lawal, an SS2 student said:

“We heard gunshots. We were in the mosque. At first, we thought it was an explosion from the transformer. But the shooting continued, so all of us left the mosque and moved towards the school gate. When we got to the gate, we saw some people in soldiers’ uniform, but they didn’t look like soldiers, and then we ran back. Our principal was crying, she told us we were not safe that we should run towards the fence and run away”

Continuing, Ajara said: “They were wearing soldiers’ uniforms and they said ‘Come, come, we are here to rescue you.’ I even stepped my leg into the car, but my elder sister called and said, ‘can’t you see that  Allahu Akbar is written on their car,’ that was how I ran out.’’

Another student, Amina Abubakar Mohamadu narrated her experience: “They deceived us. They came with three vans in army colours and they had army uniform, but they didn’t have army boots, that is how some of us identified them – through the slippers and their military trouser which did not touch the ground — three-quarter length.”

The events that followed seem like something straight out of an action movie - they scaled the school fence and ran for almost 5 kilometres. According to the girls, one of the escapees was bitten by a snake as she slept in the bush, while a teacher had a miscarriage in the midst of all the confusion.

The girls say they're done with school, they do not feel safe while others are willing to continue schooling but in a different school.

In the wake of the attack, arrangements have been made for final year students of the college to be temporarily relocated to Government Girls Secondary School, Nguru, to enable them prepare for the forthcoming senior secondary school certificate examination.

Furthermore, the Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, has directed the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, and the Commandant General, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps NSCDC, Abdullahi Muhammadu Gana to relocate to the North East and liaise with the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, the governors of Yobe, Borno and Adamawa states to ensure the deployment of their personnel in all schools in the liberated areas in the three states.