Congo Ebola: WHO Says Fourth Death May Have Occurred
The death toll in the resurfaced Ebola disease in Democratic Republic of Congo may have increased to 4, but the new death recorded is awaiting the confirmation of the World Health Organization (WHO).
WHO says there is a likely fourth death in remote north eastern part of the Central African nation.
The organisation reported the unconfirmed death on Sunday while giving update on the disease that resurfaced early May.
It said the overall number of cases rose to 37 from 29.
Of the 37 cases of haemorrhagic fever discovered since early May, two have been confirmed as Ebola, three, including the latest death, are considered probable and 32 are suspected, WHO's Congo spokesman Eugene Kabambi told Reuters.
Health authorities are monitoring 416 people who came into contact with sufferers and have dispatched mobile laboratories to the zone to more quickly test people who display symptoms, Kabambi said.
In the affected zone, extreme isolation has helped contain the highly contagious virus' spread, though a lack of telecommunications, few paved roads and a shortage of thermometers have hindered the response.
After a few deaths were recorded in DR Congo, neighbouring African countries and those far off issued stern border monitoring orders to guard against possible spread of the disease.
Nigeria that was hit by the disease in 2014, after an index case, a Liberian man, Patrick Sawyer, died in an Obalende hospital, has ordered agencies to increase surveillance and checks at borders.
But as of last week, concerns were raised after reports said the Seme Border, a popular border between the Republic of Benin and Nigeria, had no surveillance equipment to check persons coming into the nation through the border.
Although, several measures have been put in place at major airports in Nigeria to prevent and curtail the dreaded disease, but no such action was seen to prevent the disease at the land border.